Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Grizzly Bear

Grizzly Bear is one of those bands that I've known about for a while and have liked what I've heard, but never really pursued looking into them further. Recently though, I saw a music video for the song "Ready, Able" from their 2009 album, Veckatimest and decided I was interested in checking out more of their stuff. They remind me in a lot of ways of Fleet Foxes, which isn't bad at all. They play mostly acoustic instruments and use a lot of vocal harmonies. Parts of "Ready, Able" remind me of The Beach Boys, too (check out 1:40 in the video).

Here's the video for "Ready, Able" from Veckatimest

This is their music video for "Knife" from Yellow House
...by the way, if you thought that music video was weird, read this quote from one of the band members, Daniel Rossen...

"I was very skeptical of them when they first came around. The ideas that they had before that one were so much more insane. You have no idea. Fucking absurd. It was all this weird symbolism and a lot of really sexual stuff. Initially it was like Ed with a replica of himself on his back and out of the replica of himself is birthed this weird phantom beast that is some kind of monster version of himself. And he like makes out with the monster on the beach and the rest of us were like water nymphs screaming and swimming in circles. It was totally crazy."

And finally, this is a recording of "Deep Blue Sea" from their Friend EP


That's all for today, but I'll keep you guys updated with more music soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment